4 posts • Page 1 of 1
So here's what happened. I am reloading for 223 and when i was checking if my reload would chamber, it didn't. I know all the specs for the round are on point but the round wouldn't chamber without letting the bolt slam forward. When the round was loaded into the chamber I tried to extract it but it wouldn't come out. It got stuck so bad I had to slam the stock on the ground for the round to extract. I then looked at the round and saw a lot of slits in the brass. I even saw the brass peeled back in some spots. I've got the idea that there might be burrs in the chamber and I was wondering if any of you folks ran into this problem. If you did, what did you do to fix it? I have some light abrasive paste that I plan on putting on a patch and chucking it into a hand drill, then running it in the chamber for a little bit. Maybe that'll help but the problem with that is i might void the warranty of the Wolf A1 upper. I'll probably contact Wolf first before i do anything though. Just curious if any of you had the same problem. I will try to add pictures of the brass tomorrow. I also have a cheap chinese endoscope to look into the chamber but I can barely make anything out.
The chambers on new uppers are notoriously tight. What I usually do to them is chuck a chamber brush into a drill and with a good soaking of CLP run it until I'm happy it's GTG and I can seat and pull a dummy round by hand. That has made a difference. I haven't seen brass damage the way you describe from an A1, so QA/QC may be slipping a bit. If it's under warranty I'd let Wolf fix it, and while you're at it I'd do the cleaning rod test on the front sight to make sure it isn't canted.
Here's an update. So I called wolf and I told them about my issue and I was told to shoot it more to break it in. The one problem I have with that suggestion is how is brass going to remove burs in the chamber. Brass is a softer metal so i don't know but we'll see. I've only put about 300 rounds through is so far so i'll try to put a few hundred more through it to see if anything changes.
So here's an update. I don't think the burrs were the major source of the problem. The burrs definitely left some nasty scratches on the brass but the main issue was the brass. The brass I was using the once fired brass out of other rifles. I was aware of the fact that once fired brass from another rifle would need to be full length sized before loading it into another chamber. I did this and assumed it was good to go. Then I was messing around and decided to put a piece of brass that was fired out of the T91 back into the chamber and what do you know, I was able to pull the bolt back with hardly any effort. I guess even after full length sizing it still need to be fire formed to the T91 chamber. So its fine now. Also, i've been able to load 223 with only 20 grains of powder and the t91 cycles them perfectly. I'm kinda curious how low of a powder charge i can get with the t91's gas system.